Our company’s namesake product; Hog Slat is the world leader in the production of high-quality concrete slat flooring for swine barns. Our slats are manufactured using a strong, dry-cast concrete mix process and reinforced with high-tensile steel mats for improved durability and strength. Hog Slat concrete slats have a longer life expectancy than the competition and are more uniformly produced, with a perfectly flat surface that is easier on pigs’ feet and joints.
- Hog Slat, Inc. was started in 1969 when our founder, Mr. Billy Herring couldn’t find a suitable flooring for the hog facility he was building
- Relying on his ingenuity and experience, he constructed his own concrete slats which soon caught the attention of other local producers for their quality and function
- Hog Slat operates 6 slat manufacturing plants in the USA, in addition to 8 slat production facilities in Poland, Romania, China and Mexico to support construction operations in Europe, Asia and Central/South America
- Pork producers around the world choose Hog Slat concrete slat flooring for their swine production facilities because of the consistent finished quality of our products and the peace of mind our premium slatted flooring gives them in the investments they make on their farms
We Have a Little Different Spin on Slats
It all starts with the concrete! Everyone knows less water in a mix formula will produce a stronger concrete. Our batch computers measure the water content of the sand and rock before adding water to formulate a dry-casting mix that results in a HARDER, DENSER finished slat that will last longer in your buildings.
- Spinning ROTOSCREEDS allow us to work our ZERO slump dry-cast concrete mixture, resulting in a stronger, flatter and more uniform slat than wet-cast slats from other manufacturers..Our dry-cast concrete slat mixture is a ZERO slump formula, compared to a FOUR inch slump mixture that is used by other manufacturers producing wet-cast slats
- It is virtually impossible to work concrete this stiff by hand-troweling, so we use spinning ROTOSCREEDS that strike off the mold and produce one of the key features of our slats; a uniform FLAT top which is easier on your pigs’ feet and joints during their time in your barns
- No wet-cast, hand-troweled concrete slats on the market can consistently produce the uniform FLAT top found on Hog Slat concrete flooring
Low Cement-Water Ratio Yields Longer Lasting Slats
The water-to-cement ratio refers to the ratio of water weight to cement weight used in a concrete mixture. A lower ratio leads to higher strength and durability but makes the mix difficult to work with and form.
- Less water in our dry-cast concrete mixture results in a stronger finished slat that can stand the test of time in confinement pork production environments.For this reason, most other manufacturers’ slats on the market are produced with a wet-cast concrete mixture with a water-cement ratio of 0.5
- A cubic yard of wet cast concrete formulated with 500 pounds of cement contains 250 pounds of water, while a dry cast concrete mixture only contains 195 pounds of water
- As the excess water in a wet-cast concrete mixture evaporates during the curing process it creates microscopic pores that ultimately reduce the final strength of the finished slat
Steam Cure Reduces Variation
After casting, each of our concrete slats is STEAM CURED in climate-controlled tents. Steam provides the heat necessary for accelerated curing while the moisture prevents stress cracks and shrinkage. Proper steam curing procedures are strictly followed by monitoring the interior environments of the tents to ensure long-term durability of each slat we produce.
- In only a few hours, we are able to harden slats that exceed 28-day strengths of normally cured concrete
- Hot, dry weather or cold, wet environmental conditions during manufacturing will not affect the quality of our slats we deliver to your farm
- The rate of temperature gain and the maximum temperature in the curing chamber must be controlled and monitored using accepted industry guidelines and practices
- Failure to do this can result in a shortened life span of the concrete slats due to delayed ettringite formation (DEF), a condition that leads to early deterioration of the concrete when exposed to an environment similar to that found in a hog barn
Hog Slat replicates these techniques and proven processes listed above to manufacture all our finished concrete products for livestock barns, including; hog slats, cattle slats, T-slats, pre-cast pier walls and lintels.
Concrete Hog Slats
Hog Slat is the world leader in producing high-quality concrete slat flooring and has been trusted by pork producers for over 40+ years. Installing cheaper, inferior slats will end up costing you more money over the life of your barn. Insist on Hog Slat’s premium concrete hog slat for your project and get it right the first time.
- Hog Slat slats are the most superior, high-quality concrete swine flooring solution available on the market for modern pork production facilities.Our slats are machine manufactured with a strong, dry-cast concrete mixture and reinforced with high-tensile steel mats for added durability.
- Standard size slats are 4’ wide and available in either 8’ or 10’ lengths
- A special 2’ wide slat is available for remodeling projects
- Choose 1” slat openings for wean-to-finish, or 1-1/2” slot openings for gestation and breeding
- All concrete gang slats are 4” in depth and broom finished with a 5” wide top
- 8' Length Slat Options
- Item # 1214 (2’ wide x 8’ long x 1” slot)
- Item # 1218 (4’ wide x 8’ long x 1” slot)
- Item # 1222 (4’ wide x 8’ long x 1-1/2” slot)
- Item # 1213 (4’ wide x 8’ long solid, no slot openings)
- 10' Length Slat Options
- Item # 1231 (2’ wide x 10’ long x 1” slot)
- Item # 1228 (4’ wide x 10’ long x 1” slot)
- Item # 1236 (4’ wide x 10’ long x 1-1/2” slot)
- Item # 1230 (4’ wide x 10’ long solid, no slot openings)
Hog Slat manufactures a special version of our high-quality concrete slats that is especially designed for use as an ultra-durable deck in freshwater or saltwater dock/pier installations. Contact us today for more information!
Single t-slats are a great choice for replacing single slats in older swine barn facilities. The self-replacing design maintains accurate 1” slot spacing while allowing the opposite end to be cut to length as needed. T-slats are 4” in depth with a broom finished 5” wide top and 6” wide t-end.
Available in the following lengths: 4’ (Item # 1314T), 5’ (Item # 1316T), 6’ (Item # 1318T), 7’ (Item # 1320), 8’ (Item # 1322), 9’ (Item # 1324T) and 10’ (Item # 1326T)
Pre-Cast Pier Walls
Reduce labor and speed up the construction of shallow pit facilities with our 16”, 20” or 24” tall pre-cast pier and lintel combination.
- Eliminates extra steps in the pit construction process for shallow pit swine barns
- Provides the ability for piers, lintels and slat flooring to be installed in the same day
- Manufactured with the same proven dry-cast production system we use for our slats
Item # 2002 (16” high x 12’ long)
Item # 2003 (20” high x 12’ long)
Item # 2004 (24” high x 12’ long)
High-strength concrete lintels are critical to providing a solid foundational support for concrete slat flooring systems.
- Manufactured with the same proven dry-cast production system we use for our slats
- Pre-cast lintels speed up the process of setting slats in deep pit barns
- Constructed with the same standards as our concrete slats to hold up under the harshest conditions
Item # 1440 (8” wide x 8” deep x 10’ long)
Item # 1442 (8” wide x 10” deep x 10’ long)
Item # 1444 (8” wide x 10” deep x 12’ long)
Concrete cattle gang slats are a larger, thicker version of our hog slats, designed for use in dairies and other cattle feeding or livestock barn installations.
- Cattle gang slats are 4’ wide and available in 8’, 10’ and 12’ lengths
- Cattle slats are 6” deep with 6-1/2” slat tops and 1-1/2” slot openings
- ll cattle slats feature our standard broom finish
- Lintel for cattle slats feature extra steel reinforcement support and stirrups
Item # 1334 (4’ wide x 8’ long)
Item # 1336 (4’ wide x 10’ long)
Item # 1338 (4’ wide x 12’ long)
Item # 1330 (4’ wide x 8’ long solid, no slot openings)
Item # 1332 (4’ wide x 10’ long solid, no slot openings)
Item # 1344 (8” wide x 10” deep x 12’ long cattle lintel)
Hog Slat is a full line stocking distributor of Vanberg Specialized Coatings concrete repair and protection products, including; Con-Korite™ Xtra Mortar, ARMOR-STONE™ Epoxy Mortar, Armor-Rock™ 3800 Epoxy Overlay, Eco-Crete Slat Patch, Con-Korite™ SSL, KB25 Acrylic Resin and EPO-SET 400 epoxy gel paste.